The province of Alberta has two major railways, CN and CP, as well as several shortline and tourist railways, and two passenger railways.
Two “class 1” railways operate in Alberta: CN and CP.
Shortline Railways in Alberta
The following short line railroads operate in Alberta:
Passenger Railways in Alberta
There are numerous passenger railroads in Alberta. VIA Rail provides transcontinental service and numerous tourist railways provide entertainment and education in different parts of the province.
- VIA Rail (the Canadian from Toronto-Vancouver through Edmonton; and the Skeena from Jasper, AB to Prince Rupert, BC)
- Rocky Mountaineer (high end tourist excursions)
- Alberta Prairie Rail Excursions (Stettler, AB)
- Aspen Crossing (Mossleigh, AB – diesel train)
- Alberta Railway Museum (Edmonton, AB – steam train)
- Edmonton Radial Railway (Edmonton, AB – streetcars)
- Fort Edmonton Park (Edmonton, AB – steam train and streetcars)
- Heritage Park (Calgary, AB – steam train)