I have been asked for gift recommendations for Canadians who like trains. This page provides a few recommendations for your consideration, if you’re shopping for a train-related gift for a friend or loved one.
Please note that some of these links are affiliate links, meaning I earn a small commission if you buy something after following the link. This is at no additional cost to you.
Any of Greg McDonnell’s books are great gifts, featuring classic Canadian railroading:
Great general train-related books include:
- Meet Me at the Station, Elizabeth Wilmot
- Through the Window of a Train, Barbara Lange
- Railway Country, Brian Johnson and Dudley Witney
- Lines of Country, Christopher Andreae (out of print, expensive)
Two books from the Canadian National Railways Historical Association are “Canadian National Diesel Locomotives (Volume 2)” and “Château Laurier – A Splendid Century”.
- My 2018 Manitoba Grain Elevator calendar
- My 2018 Canadian Trains calendar
- Diesel Power – The New Era Begins by James A. Brown (Bytown Railway Society)
A VIA Rail gift card is always a good idea!