The province of Ontario in Canada hosts several major freight railways, four passenger railways, numerous tourist railways and several shortline railways.
Class 1 Railways in Ontario
CN operates in Ontario through their main lines stretching east-west through northern Ontario, and through southern Ontario into the US, as well as numerous branch lines.
CP’s operations in Ontario consist of their northern main line running through Sudbury and Thunder Bay to Winnipeg, and their southern main line running from Toronto through Windsor into the United States.
Ontario Short Line Railways
There are several short line railroads in Ontario.
- Ontario Northland Railway (northern Ontario and Quebec)
- Ontario Southland Railway (several former CN and CP subdivisions)
- Huron Central Railway (between Sudbury and Thunder Bay)
- Essex Terminal Railway (Windsor area)
- Ottawa Valley Railway
Passenger Rail in Ontario
There are several passenger rail operators in Ontario:
- Agawa Canyon Tour Train
- Credit Valley Explorer
- Port Stanley Terminal Rail
- South Simcoe Railway
- Waterloo Central Railway