The Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway was constructed to help build a water supply for the City of Winnipeg in Manitoba. The track was built in 1914 and 1915 along the route of an aqueduct being built from Shoal Lake to Winnipeg. It remains in service to service the water supply.
GWWD’s shops are in St. Boniface off Plinguet Street, where they have been since they were constructed in 1919.
The GWWD operates trains infrequently on an “as needed” basis to supply chemicals to the Deacon Corner water treatment plant and to bring materials and crew out to Shoal Lake and other locations along the line.
They operate MLW RS-23 locomotives, leased tank cars as required, and use some of their own fleet of older flatcars and other railway equipment. They interchange with CN; they used to interchange with CP but that connection was severed.