The beautiful train station in Amherst, Nova Scotia was built in 1908 by the Intercolonial Railway. It was built from local sandstone to replace the original wooden station.
The station was used for passenger service by CN until VIA Rail was formed in 1978. VIA continued to use the station until late October 2012, when it was closed as part of a mass closing of stations by VIA. The waiting room and washrooms are still available for passengers but the station is not staffed.
The station was supposed to be purchased by the town of Amherst in early 2018. There was a plan to convert the station into a restaurant, but as of September 2018 this hasn’t happened.
Back to Nova Scotia train stations