Canadian National (CN) continues to operate in New Brunswick, although it mostly exists as the main line between Montreal, Quebec and Halifax, Nova Scotia, with a branch line down to Saint John. Moncton is the major center for CN in New Brunswick.
CN operates six subdivisions in New Brunswick:
- The Denison subdivision (Moosehorn (Sussex Sub) to Clover Hill) – currently out of service
- The Napadogan subdivision (Edmundston to Moncton)
- The Pelletier subdivision (St. Andre Jct. to Edmundston)
- The Springhill subdivision (Moncton to Halifax)
- The Sussex subdivision (Moncton to Saint John), with an interchange to
the New Brunswick Southern Railway
- The Newcastle subdivision (Pacific Junction (outside Moncton) to Campbellton)
CN has two major New Brunswick yards, the Gordon Yard in Moncton and the Island Yard in Saint John. Beginning in 2002, CN leased Saint John’s Island Yard to the NB Southern Railway and all local switching in Saint John is done by NB Southern.